Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Evan C

I'm in a stroller and it's late spring/early summer. It's a warm day with just a hint of a chilly breeze from the ocean. The sky is a clear, vibrant blue and the trees have small new leaves. My mother is pushing the carriage down the cracked, uneven sidewalk and talking to my father. She's wearing a sun dress with a small floral print.... We're headed down Main St towards the fisherman's wharf and this picnic park where folks go to watch the ocean from the cliffs (and smoke pot I would later find out). The houses in this area are in ill repair and I remember noticing that even as a very young child. The tone of their conversation seemed quiet and sad but I'm not sure I understood what they were talking about. I don't remember making it to the wharf but I have a distinct memory of passing by the lumber yard on Main. My parents split up when I was young and I didn't see my father for 20 years. This is one of two childhood memories I have of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment